It’s great! And coming after a few more recent official film festival selections, SVEN GUNNAR is well on its way. Not bad for a film I co-wrote and the first film that I’d shot for someone else.
Yes! At long last the edit is done!
Admittedly, we only shot the film in March. But I had still hoped to have finished the edit much sooner. Sadly, Coronavirus has impacted my life in mysterious ways and where I briefly had a period of absolutely no work to do and plenty of time to devote to COMFORT HIM, suddenly I was then deluged with more work than I could handle and not enough hours in the day and some of that work is related to that very virus and various organisation’s efforts to combat it – so in a minor way, I am trying to play my part by helping them. But I shouldn’t complain about the lack of time to edit. For one, the film is now done – at least from my side. And secondly, I am alive and well, currently still employed and have been in isolation since the shoot, where others are unfortunately not so lucky and bad things are afoot in the world. In the scheme of things, my struggle is nothing and I salute those working to make the world a safe place once again, although I fear it will be a long time before some semblance of normality returns…. anyway back to the subject at hand! … Our crazy little micro film idea is soon done.
It’s so nice to have finished the edit for COMFORT HIM. It’s a stressful time though. Right now, four highly talented individuals are looking at pieces of this film, and working through my specific briefs to try and interpret my requests and bring their own unique talent and taste to help craft what is needed, to take this film from a rough and ready completed narrative version, and turn it into a completely new beast – a fully-realised and polished short film that is worthy of being viewed and judged. And I sit here, trying to distract myself by putting the EPK (Electronic Press Kit) together – for when we submit the film to film festivals – and hope that each person somehow manages to elevate my vision to a whole new level that surpasses all of our collective visions. But I am happy that for now I have done my part. When I convinced everyone to read the script and climb aboard this short film crazy train, I made a commitment to seeing it through, as we all did, and it’s another example of the new me actually finishing what I set out to do! No matter what!
The post production team, on this film, is:
- Albin Larsson (Voxel visuals) – Fresh from his award for the VFX for MR CLEAN, is back in the chair and designing some ways to solve what we couldn’t pull off on set, due to the limited shooting time and logistical issues. Working on 4 VFX shots. And he’s possibly cursing my requests as he tries to make them work with the source footage.
- Eric Lau – will be colour grading once again. Fresh from finishing the colour grading on LOVELY TO MEET YOU – the film we shot in Barcelona at the end of last year. And if he pulls off what he did for that film, I can’t wait to see the visuals. As LTMY is looking great. We may have to do a bit of rework when we swap the VFX shots in and then regrade them.
- Flora Cheng, our award winning composer, is once again crafting her own unique music score to complement the film; something which will involve custom designing sounds to fit the style and tone. She’s winning awards for her own work too! So we’re very honoured to have her scoring things again.
- Luca De Sensi – our Milan-based, award winning Sound Designer / Mixer is also back in the studio and probably scratching his head at how I’ve organised and named all of the files and essentially looking to organise, rebuild and polish the hell out of all of the sound elements. Eventually combining it with the music score to mix it sublimely.
Soon I hope that we can all see and share the finished film. I for one, am more excited than anyone to see it! And it will be great to see it finally come together, all wrapped in a nice bow and given a seal of approval from the production team and the cast and crew.
And then we’ll ultimately know whether it’s a hit or a miss, once we come to share it and see if anyone notices or cares. So far those that have seen it, even without the VFX and score etc, have liked what they’ve seen. But maybe they’re all biased? 😉
And for now, I’ll continue with the EPK, the day job and twiddling my thumbs in anticipation of each of the four segments of post production coming together…
PS – everyone keeps asking when they can see the trailer. There is no trailer. It’s a 1 minute 20 second movie. It’s short enough already!
Yes that’s right! Awards! As in more than one award! Woohoo!
The Independent Shorts Awards film Festival announced the March Winners: https://independentshortsawards.com/award-winners-march-2020/ and MR CLEAN managed to pick up the following:
- BRONZE CATEGORY – 2 awards – Best Visual FX for Albin Larsson and Best Sound Design for Luca De Sensi
- BEST HORROR SHORT: MR CLEAN picked up an honourable mention.
It’s amazing that in our first festival, we’ve picked up some awards and an honourable mention. Nice. On behalf of the entire cast and crew, I want to thank the Independent Shorts Awards! It is very much appreciated. As soon as we’ve got the certificates we’ll update the poster accordingly with these lovely Laurel wreathes:
MR CLEAN has been selected for its first festival – by the Independent Shorts Awards Film Festival! You can see it listed on the website here: https://independentshortsawards.com/2020/03/07/mr-clean/ Nice. It’s been selected twice, in multiple categories. So It will be interesting to learn if it gets further along through the competition.
However, It’s up against a huge amount of other films, so competition is high. But it’s still great and we’re very honoured for MR CLEAN to get selected. And thanks again to Karen Keslen for updating the posters with the new laurels, and to the entire team. Couldn’t have done it without you guys! No really!
We’re also happy to get another selection for SVEN GUNNAR too – our second Official Selection from the “Southeast Regional Film Festival” Jacksonville Florida USA. Awesome!
After a tough week of work and stressing about life around the virus, and two festival rejections for MR CLEAN so far, this is good news indeed.
SVEN GUNNAR (2020) – which was properly finished and premiered this year, earlier in March – now has its first offficial film festival selection – at the Lift-Off Sessions! (PineWoods Studios In London UK) . That’s great news! We designed this film very much in line with trying to get it into some film festivals, so the fact that this film is now on it’s way towards achieving that goal, is really great!
“Flesh to cut… Flesh to eat! Don’t let Sven-Gunnar get his meat!”
Read the SHOOT DIARY, to find out more about the co-production with DR TV.
#svengunnarmovie #horrormovie #shortfilm
PS. Now if MR CLEAN would only get its first selection that would be great. Pls thx! So far SVEN GUNNAR is winning in this friendly competition. 🙂 – sadly, the first festival to notify us, cancelled due to Coronavirus. The 2nd only picked 10 films out of hundreds and we didn’t make the semi-finalist cut. However, two other film festivals we didn’t submit to, have requested us to submit after seeing the trailer… but there’s many more to await. So fingers crossed!